Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Nov 2014 22:16:50 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removing the rear AC top cover
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM>

Oh yes this job is a treat. You will be surprised what you can break. Why do you want to replace the temp sensor? Never saw on go bad. Even if the controller went bad splice the replacement to the sensor itself. To clean the rear of the evaporator use compressed air with a long thin tube.

If you must drop the housing you need to beginning be removing all the ductwork beginning from the front and working back. Then support the rear works in a way you can lower gently. You will need to carefully disconnect the side drain tubes. It is easy to crack the drain pan where those hoses connect. Once down you get to separate the top cover which is glued or plastic welded in place. Once inside you will find the foam is likely disintegrated. Part of the job of this foam is to keep the condensed water from spraying off the evaporator and into the vents. Replace it. Then the challenge is getting it back in place. A helper is real handy for this one.

Dennis