Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Nov 2014 07:49:18 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Curtains
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

I found some small strong magnets online. About 1/8" thick by 1/4" wide by 5/8 long. I had these sewn into the hems of all the curtains for my van. Spaced the magnets around the curtain's perimeter at about one foot intervals. The times when we're camping and want privacy or shade I simply dig out the bag of curtains and stick them up to the window-surrounding body work..the magnets hold very well, even when driving with all the other windows open. I even made a long pair for between driving area and the camping area so that on really cold sleeping nights I can reduce the area for heat loss and I don't have to mess with a sun shield up at the windshield. I've had various camper vehicles almost my whole life and I guess I must have had almost every conceivable curtain hanging system at one time or another. Hanging, permanent mounted curtains, those always seem to get in my way, they get pulled off their mounts or torn down when loading large items, they slip closed sometimes or get forgotten until you must see out that particular window in traffic, etc. Permanent mount curtains also advertise that your Vehicle is maybe being used as a camper and it may contain something valuable to steal, should you leave it in some 'sketchy' parking area...A plain window tin top like I have now....those, without curtains, are still so unremarkable that people tend to ignore them. It would be helpful to have each curtain marked somehow so when you fish them out of the bag for deployment you can get the right one on the right window more easily. And sometimes they stick together, magnet to magnet...so you must deal with that, too. Considering that curtains are only up in my vehicle very seldom...it works for me.