Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Nov 2014 07:10:05 -0800
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Brake Warning Light Behavior

On 11/25/2014 2:43 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > On the 84 there are two switches, one for each > circuit. If There are two contacts on each. If one switches without the > other you should get the warning light.

But only when the brake pedal is depressed, right? That's what the Owner's Manual says, unless I misunderstood. And it's what I concluded when I went through the schematics awhile ago. My symptom is the opposite.

> You may also have a ground or other > problem with the brake lights. Get the schematic or current flow diagram and > a meter and wring it out.

I not proud to say I didn't have time to do that. I have to work this week, and then I'm driving the Westy a long way to camp at relatives' for Thanksgiving.

So I dropped the camper at Peninsula Automotive yesterday and drove my '82 diesel Rabbit to work. (The Rabbit is for sale! Call Peninsula! Also four GTI seats in various colors and conditions!)

Peninsula reported both brake lights were out (again!). They cleaned the brake light bulb sockets, and that fixed the lights and the brake warning light. I can't think of a reason that'd cause the symptom I reported, but I just don't have time to sit down and trace it all out.

Peninsula also fixed a leaking coolant line I noticed yesterday.

Seriously, I'm well aware that I just paid somebody to figure stuff out that I would have enjoyed figuring out myself. I'm hyper-aware of the down side of doing that. But right now I have work that pays reasonably well, and lots of good VW shops in the area I'm glad to support, so I try not to feel bad about it.

Sorry to get all philosophical about a simple maintenance squawk!