Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Nov 2014 01:12:19 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure ?
Comments: To: "Chris S." <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

On 11/22/2014 7:18 PM, Chris S. wrote: > 2 bar at 80 degrees centigrade at 2000 rpm with factory oil viscosity, which I believe is 30 weight, is the low minimum guide in Bentley. > > Which seal was replaced? Was it oil pump? May want to check clearance between oil pump gears and cover. > > Chris. > > Wysłane z iPhone'a > > Dnia Nov 22, 2014 o godz. 17:50 Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM> napisał(a): > >> After installing my new VDO electric oil gauge I finally took my 88 Westy out this afternoon for a test ride. Driving the interstate at 65 mph, oil is at 22 psi, drove for another 40 miles down to the exit ramp and oil pressure light/buzzer goes off at the end of the ramp. PSI was at 6 at 900 rpm's. Is this common? Or is there a problem with my new GOWESTY engine that has 3000+ miles on it ? >> >> Dennis Jowell >> Scotch Hollow Farm One popinyt that hasn't been brought up is there a chance that the range for the sending unit doesn't match the VDO gauge. VDO offers both a 0-150 and a 0-70 gauge and I don't know if this would be an issue, but both the 0-150 and the 0-70 PSI VDO electric sending units look almost identical, except for the small nomenclature stamped on the body of the unit. Perhaps finding an old mechanical pressure gauge and hooking it up to the outlet might shed some light on the good gauge/bad gauge theory.

My Boston Bob rebuild from 2000 or thereabouts has over 150k on it and still generates 60+PSI at start up with Mobil1 15/50 and even after extended heavy loads always has more than the list's "Golden Rule" of 10PSI/1000 RPM benchmark. If you do use a mechanical gauge(like an old Stewart Warner etc). I would test it on someone's engine with known good oil pressure to make sure it's working properly and maybe even use your system on that person's car to make sure it's healthy too. There's a lot at stake here for sure. I hope you find out the problem....and soon!!

DM&FS