Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Nov 2014 09:56:21 -0500
From:         "Chris S." <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure ?
Comments: To: Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM>

Lack of a gasket is necessarily bad. Excessive clearance at the pump cover can cause low pressure issues. There are two gaskets at the oil pump that are easily confused. It would be prudent to make sure this is correct. Search tencentlife's oil pump comments on The Samba.

Chris.

Wysłane z iPhone'a

Dnia Nov 23, 2014 o godz. 6:30 Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM> napisał(a):

> The seal that was replaced was the pulley seal close to the oil pump cover and that seal area was also resealed. Noah's shop also added a small gasket at the pump cover which had none except a silicone type sealant was used from GOWESTY. I tried 2 different OP blue pressure switches with the same results happening. > > Dennis Jowell > Scotch Hollow Farm > > >> On Nov 23, 2014, at 12:22 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: >> >> I would be concerned that the problem started after replacing the rear seal. >> I would also be concerned that the seal had to be replaced on a new engine. >> Something is wrong. Are we talking the rear seal as in the pulley seal or

>> the flywheel seal? Or was is the oil pump cover seal? Then I would suspect >> the wrong gasket was installed. >> >> One thing I would do is get the rear oil pressure switch from the dealer.

>> The aftermarket ones including the OEM looking Meyle stuff is junk and they >> are all over the place. The newer dealer switches have also been redesigned >> with more band between setting on and releasing to help prevent the falsies. >> >> >> Dennis >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> Dennis Jowell >> Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2014 7:00 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Oil pressure ? >> >> New filter, oil is 20w50 NAPA, oil level is slightly less than 1/2 on the

>> stick. Pressure does rise off idle. Not to sure if oil cooler is working or >> how to check it out. It was 20 out during the 80 mile trip back an forth >> from the farm. Could there be an oil pump problem on the new 2.2 engine? The >> oil pump pressure was tested by Noah when the rear seal started to leak and >> he replaced the seal. Then the trouble with the light/ buzzer syndrome >> started. >> >> >> Dennis Jowell >> Scotch Hollow Farm >> >> >>>> On Nov 22, 2014, at 6:42 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> >>> wrote: >>> >>> What viscosity oil are you using? 22 psi at 3,600 RPM is low >>> especially for a new engine. Any chance you are over filling it? >>> Clogged or otherwise restricted filter? Is the oil cooler working? The

>>> 6 psi at idle is also low but not that uncommon Pressure should rise >>> quickly above idle. 28 psi at >>> 3800 is considered a wear limit unless there are extenuating >>> circumstances such as after a prolonged high speed drive. >>> >>> Dennis >>> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >>> Behalf Of Dennis Jowell >>> Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:50 PM >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>> Subject: Oil pressure ? >>> >>> After installing my new VDO electric oil gauge I finally took my 88 >>> Westy out this afternoon for a test ride. Driving the interstate at 65