Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:44:02 -0800
From:         Todd P Last <Rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Considering an engine swap for the past decade,
              but WBX just keeps going
Comments: To: Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>

I have to say that provided you maintain it properly, the WBX engines seem to last a long time. Neglect it, even a little, and you pay the price. IMHO that is generally true of European engines, a little more so of the WBX.

Todd

On 11/30/2014 12:48 PM, Zeitgeist wrote: > I've said it here, and I'll say it again; I bought our Bluestar back in > '04, with the express intention of swapping in a TDI in the near term. I'm > not a fan of the WBX, flat engines or even gas engines at all, but having > said that, this thing just motors on and has really never given me > reliability problems that would necessitate a swap or even a replacement. > I've never had it or the transaxle out of the vehicle in the decade I've > owned it, and even though I do have its ALH replacement sitting in my shop, > I have no reason to do so given its resolute persistence. It's earned my > grudging respect one gritty mile after the next. I just can't seem to climb > aboard the WBX bashing bandwagon, since I've never once had a bad > experience with one. I should mention that my previous van, an '88 GL, > gave the exact same service while we owned it, as it did for our inlaws who > bought and drove it for another decade afterward. >