Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:53:54 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Waterless coolant
Comments: To: "Chris S." <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

For normal street use I think the best part of this stuff is the advertising. Seriously, I have many years of experience with industrial heat transfer systems using all sorts of heat transfer mediums. For the cost absolutely nothing beats water. Almost all homes that have baseboard or other forms of hydronic heating use water or maybe even steam with no treatment whatsoever. I don’t know of anyone that has regularly changed the water in their baseboards and many boiler and baseboard systems have been in place for up 30 or even 40 years. The trick? No leaks, no air, and no make-up water with the new oxygen absorbed in it. While the addition of antifreeze lowers the freeze point and raises the boiling point this does reduce the ability to absorb heat. Also if you travel how do you replace it if needed?

Today's antifreeze solutions are really great stuff. Even with the normal "Green" stuff there is no reason for annual or semi-annual coolant changes. With the Vanagon especially there is a high enough frequency of the system being opened for some repair that I don’t even do regular changes anymore. If you want to go all out look at some of the Diesel engine coolants such as "Final Charge" 6 years or 600,000 mile change intervals in heavy duty engines with only one additive addition at the half life. That is what I am using now. Yes it is pre-mixed because it has been proven that the worse thing we put in a cooling system is tap water. Also this stuff acts as a water-wetter and superior water pump seal lubricant. 100K water pumps are possible now.

My $0.02

Dennis