Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Dec 2014 15:47:59 -0500
From:         Vincent Dow <ianvincentdow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Might be a double post...winter trip
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Right on man. I'll be following your progress. I too am snowbirding this year. I want/need to bring my 82 westfalia/2.2 subaru back to california from montreal. Yikes! Nah, it should be fine. Me and my girlffriend and dog are intending to head south from Montreal the 1st dry day in january. Spend the first night in Brooklyn with friends. After that head straight down to Baltimore, and then turn west. Just gotta get out of the bad weather.

I have a newly rebuilt 4speed! It costed an insane amount. I don't even want to say how much. But it works beautifully. I have a new taller 4th gear (.77) so I'm more of a rumbling cruiser. But that's fine.

Heater is not heating up!!! Garghhh!!! My van was originally air-cooled. I had the heater plumbed in three-four years ago. It's worked plenty in the past. Once it's getting hot coolant.

I brought the van the other night to a friendly garage that has a steep ramp into one of their bays. I'm trying to get the engine expansion tank above the front -heater core. That's always worked in the past. And I went through the process the other night, but I'm still not heating up. So I'm thinking there's still a big bubble in the heater core. PITA

It's real cold here in Montreal. 10 below (centigrade) this afternoon. But the streets are dry. They salt like crazy here. I really hate having it out on the street. I'm watching the forecast. If a blizzard comes, I'll buy a month of indoor parking at a garage over on the west side. I still have lots of prep to do on the vehicle, before jumping off on a 3,300 mile excursion.

At least gas is cheap these days!

Once I get to L.A. I'm golden. I have a big, level driveway, lots of tools. So much I've wanted to do to this van, that I couldn't do in Quebec.

Mexico would be real nice too.

Good luck, send a message to the forum when you take off! Vinnie