Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 2014 16:43:54 -0800
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fixed: Won't Start in St. Helena, Napa County
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

The link should be to van-cafe.com.

vancafe.com ain't a working domain.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 12/02/2014 04:02 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > www.rockauto.com has them for $1.40 each, I just got mine a couple weeks > ago. Your old plugs must have been fouled, they should last longer than > that. You might want to get a set of rebuilt injectors from RA too, $25 > each. Something is not quite right yet. > > Also, modern multi-fuel lines will last for at least 20 years, they are not > something you need to replace every few years. I like the fuel line kit > from www.vancafe.com. It's a heavier hose and uses screw clamps as opposed > to GW's crimp clamps, which are fine, but require a special tool. Be sure to > replace the hoses on the injectors if you do not get rebuilt ones. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Steve Williams > Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 3:52 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Fixed: Won't Start in St. Helena, Napa County > > In the end, the shop installed new Bosch 7998 spark plugs, and it starts and > runs fine now. So, yeah, I could have done that myself, but at least I got > more comfortable digging around in the ignition. And Now I have a new coil, > ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor, too. > > The fellow at the shop felt the plugs were quite old, 40-50K miles. > According to my records, GoWesty installed NGK spark plugs in May, 2011, at > 145,277 miles. The mileage right now is about 168,520. So, only 23-24K > miles. I hadn't thought it was that long ago. > > One of the things I learned: I need to be more proactive about replacing > ignition parts. Just as I learned the hard way a few months ago that the > fuel lines in the engine compartment don't last more than a few years! > > What else should I be replacing, and how often? > > Another interesting item: I haven't bought a lot of stuff from GoWesty > recently, but I still get a lot of information from their web site. > Here's what GoWesty says about spark plugs: "Bosch has discontinued > production of their spark plug for the water-boxer engine; therefore, we are > now stocking this NGK product, and have found it be an excellent > replacement." > > The mechanic here in St. Helena says he doesn't like NGK, and he didn't have > any trouble getting Bosch 7998 plugs. Is GoWesty saying Bosch discontinued > a plug that was more appropriate for the waterboxer? > > Again, thanks, all of you, for your advice. >