Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:33:48 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Vanagon's blinking coolant light problem vs other
              peoples'---it all blends together
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

> .... Not elegant, but I have better things to do than > fiddle ... repeatedly, with something the VW engineering didn't get > quite right.

On my I4 swap, with a brand new coolant level warning module installed, the first coolant gauge I installed had an intermittent lingering blinking coolant light; if I left the bus sitting for a few days, after starting the bus the light would stay on for a period of time then go out. If bus driven daily, this didn't happen. This gauge was 25+ years old from a higher mileage 1985 1.9; a failing coolant level warning light capacitor is to be expected? I replaced this gauge with one from what was likely a lower mileage diesel. This gauge has been reliable.

On a recent trip in my I4 swap bus, while coasting down a long steep mountain pass in Oregon, the coolant level warning light did exactly what it was intended to do. It warned me of a low coolant situation. Due to a certain level of engine swap arrogance on my part, and past gauge history, I assumed the gauge was at fault, so keyed the ignition on/off while driving. The light went out, but then came back on. Indeed there was a coolant loss happening.

Image showing cause of the coolant loss (albeit a VERY slow leak) on the Jetta coolant expansion tank installed in my swap: http://tinyurl.com/p5pg5ex I imagine this type of failure can happen on the WBX expansion tank? I digress.

IMO, age of the part not withstanding, the coolant level warning light in the Vanagon coolant gauge works as the VW engineers intended.

;)

Neil.

On 12/12/14, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> Black tape will do the job. Then you can figure a way to work around the > coolant light. I installed an oil temp gauge, used in tandem with my > coolant temp gauge and my alternator light I can deduce what is actually > happening inside my motor rather than having to wonder if that blinking > light means anything THIS time, or if it is simply sending another false > warning. > After wasting time beating that particular "Dead Horse"... The sketchy > blinking light that gets so much bandwidth amongst Vanagon owners... I > found a better way. My Blinky-Light has been taped over now for 4yrs and > about 70k miles. Not elegant, but I have better things to do than > fiddle-d-f**k, repeatedly, with something the VW engineering didn't get > quite right.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>