Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 2014 12:42:27 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Vanagon's blinking coolant light problem vs other
              peoples'---it all blends together
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

On 12/12/14, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> So those VW engineers "intended" the blinking coolant light to first induce > a skeptical doubt, and after the driver checks the truth of the light, a > sense of awe that it actually did indicate low coolant ? Or, did they > intend to waste our time trying to keep that blinking light behaving? They > did accomplish both, I think. I know I wasted a bit of time on it, too.

Hi Don.

Well, conspiracy theories aside, < grin >, I guess my answer is "no". Granted, my experience level is less than some Vanagon owning and-or wrenching folks but IMO and experience, if the low coolant warning light and related components are in proper working condition, that warning light system works just as the VW engineers intended. Though there was a learning curve in terms of installing this system on an air cooled Vanagon, the time I've actually spent on fixing the issue has been minimal and for me, not a waste of time; this warning system (and some help from Jason Newton) pointed me to the wear and tear at the coolant expansion tank. Nothing replaces looking at fluid levels and the leak was VERY slow, but in theory, that warning light could have saved my engine.

This is somewhat OT, but I've recently been looking at and reading about vintage stereo receivers. It seems that electrolytic capacitors start to "leak". Due in part to age? "Cap" replacement is common on these vintage receivers. Not sure if this is exactly what's happening with the Vanagon temp gauge cap but along with other more knowledgable peoples' comments, the capacitor in the Vanagon coolant temp gauge doesn't seem to exempt from this type of normal wear and tear. Not saying this is the only cause of a flaky coolant warning light. But maybe it's something we'll see more of in the coming years?

Neil.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>