Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 2014 19:27:15 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Vanagon's blinking coolant light problem vs other
              peoples'---it all blends together Some Friday sarcasm on warning
              lights!
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

That's a wonderful idea you have. In the event of a sudden massive coolant loss if you don’t notice the steam behind you or following drivers using their wipers the coolant temp and oil temp gauges will come in handy as the replace engine notifier. Maybe that won’t even be necessary. We can just wait for the fire and blame it on fuel lines. Why? The reason VW and other manufacturers use a coolant level sensor is that the coolant temp gauge only works when submerged in coolant. Make that flowing coolant. Loose the coolant and loose the gauge. The gauge won't read until you get steam. Lose all the coolant and no steam. Also, you can have a coolant loss where it is still flowing and maybe the remaining coolant is being cooled and the gauge may even read close to normal. But the parts of the engine now above the coolant level will get damaged. Think of that pot on the stove boiling off just before the bottom starts to melt. Sure these warning indicators can give false readings but they can be fixed. One thing I have learned over the years. Manufacturers add nothing without reason or benefit. VW especially. If there it has purpose.

When we make suggestions we need to be mindful that some may follow them without a full understanding of what they may be giving up and without the skills and knowledge to compensate. Just think of folks with automatic transmissions removing the unneeded hand (parking) brake not realizing it is also the emergency brake.

Dennis