Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2014 09:33:01 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AT question
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>

What I have been told by my rebuilder is that these units typically fail because the seal between the diff and tranny goes out, allowing the gear oil and ATF to mix. This will eventually take out the diff, and quickly gums up the valve body.

This type of behavior could be from thick gear oil in the tranny. Unfortunately, a complete rebuild is necessary, including the torque converter, since it's the only way to get the cross contaminated fluids out.

The seal seems to last about 25 years, regardless of mileage, according to this fellow.

Stuart