Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2014 09:50:22 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: replacing hose with minimal coolant loss
Comments: To: Mark McCulley <markmcculley@GMAIL.COM>

That hose should be replaced with every water pump change IMHO, since it is in an area that is near the exhaust and is exposed to oil. So, if your water pump has been in use more than 50k, I'd consider replacing it too, since it won't be that much more work if you have to remove one of the pipes to replace it. Use Permatex "Right Stuff" to seal the pipe flanges.

If you are lucky and dexterous, you might be able to cut the old one off and squeeze the new one in between the two pipes (heat it up some to soften it and use silicone spray to lubricate it). But, there is no way to keep from losing most of the coolant in the engine. Shut off the two heater cores and clamp off the two big hoses near the engine to keep the coolant in the radiator, or if it's been in there over two years (five with long-life coolant) flush and refill the whole system. I now use Zerex G-03 long life.

Stuart