Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2014 13:58:30 -0400
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AT question
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com>

How many miles are on it?

It should be pretty obvious if the fluid is mixing. I don't know that it would be moving at all if that had happened to any great extent. What normally seems to happen at end-of-life is the friction plates in the forward clutch get worn down to the metal. In my experience that doesn't cause any symptoms for reverse, tho. The only time I lost reverse was when the pump grenaded. That's an expensive part and if it fails spectacularly it can take a lot of the rest of the innards with it. I'd stop driving it if I were you.

I think what's often happening with what Jeff is talking about is that people change fluid as an attempt to deal with a problem that they've already noticed and either the failure that was going to happen then happens, or the new fluid changes pressures and moves gunk around, causing the failure that was going to happen to happen. Either way, it was gonna happen.

Regardless of the cause, I'd say you're in for a rebuild. If the pump is dying that's another ~$350, last time I looked it up. In that case I'd go out and get a used tranny with the lowest mileage I could find and get the pump out of that - maybe just swap it in. My pump had over 350K on it when it died.

If you do a rebuild I'd always get a clean torque converter. Much of the crap from the friction plates is in the TC now. You can try cleaning out the valve body but from what I've seen personally I wouldn't hold out much hope of that helping you.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Volks, > I have been working on a rather nice '91 GL, soon to be for sale. The > last issue is the transmission. If the van has not been driven for a > couple of days, the transmission is reluctant to get going at first. When > I shift into drive or reverse I can feel it engage, but the vehicle moves > very little until I run it at 2500 rpm or so for about 30 seconds. > Once it starts to pull, it works fine for the rest of the day, shifting > smoothly at appropriate speeds, etc. > I have tried a dose of Seafoam followed by a fluid and screen change. This > approach has worked well for me on other types of vehicles with the same > problem, but not this time. > > Can anyone offer a considered opinion about the cause of this problem? > Will I have to go into the trans itself, or is there some hope of a remedy > by changing the torque convertor or governor or cleaning the valve body? > > Larry A. > W. Michigan >

-- Cya, Robert

'87 2.1/Auto GL