Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 2014 09:12:35 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Update, looking for Automatic transmission for 90 Vanagon
Comments: To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

First, I wouldn't put in in without adding an aftermarket oil cooler, the Vanagon weighs a lot more, and more torque slip means more heat. The higher ratios will mean it will shift at a slightly lower speed than with the WBX tranny. I always keep my '85 in second on any hill or when accelerating on to the freeway until 4000+ rpm anyway, which is about 55-60 rpm. Since 2nd gear is about 3.44% higher in the aircooled, 4000 rpm is only about 2 mph slower. So, I don't think it's a significant difference. Regarding the torque converter, if it was used on the 1.9 and the 2.1 is different, they likely have different stall speeds. Someone else will have to answer that one though. You might call German Transaxle and ask them.

Stuart