Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:20:50 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Warning light
Comments: To: Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM>

At 06:30 AM 11/6/2014, Dennis Jowell wrote: >The buzzer/warning light goes off together and is located In the >temperature gauge ( tachometer) >Not by the oil can warning light speedometer area. It was going off >at low idle coming off the interstate. >I checked the coolant and it was low. Filled it yesterday now need >to test drive. Snow coming in this morning so my test drive will be postponed.

Sounds like someone added a buzzer to the gauge blinker or conceivably modified the oil pressure blink/buzz system.

In a stock 2.1l system. the oil light will blink any time it's activated, but the LED itself does not self-blink; it's a normal LED. If you unplug the sender by the water pump and rev above 2,000 rpm it will blink and a buzzer will sound. The buzzer is on the L-shaped circuit board located inside the speedometer, which parses the two sender inputs and the tachometer signal and controls the light and buzzer.

The temp gauge OTOH contains a self-blinking 5V LED that blinks any time it has power. It's driven by a ua741 op amp circuit that runs for two seconds any time it's triggered and at power-up, and is triggered any time the resistance to ground on the gauge sender line falls to 35 ohms or below. Its output pulls the negative lead of the LED and the 5.1V zener diode in parallel with it negative from the +10V supply rail of the gauge. It's possible to take several mA at five volts from this output, enough to drive a 5V/500 ohm reed relay, with only slight effect on the brightness of the blinking LED. Or a transistor circuit could be devised in place of the reed relay.

If you can at some point document exactly what was done it could be useful to others in the group.

Sorry for the delayed response; I accidentally sorted my mailbox incorrectly and it put this in front of my eyes where I'd missed it before.

Yours, David Beierl