Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:56:46 -0600
From:         Kevin Duvernay <kduvey@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Westy overheating after coolant change
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Thanks Mark and Richard for the quick replies.

Ive done more messing about and have some additional observations and theories.

But firstly, to address Mark's question. I have replaced nothing more than just the hose clamp on the mentioned junction between rubber coolant hose and plastic coolant pipe. I actually replaced the original rusted one with two new ones. I can feel the metal insert coming out slightly so I placed a one new one where the original one was (over the plastic pipe) and a second new one over the 'rim' of the metal insert. Im hoping this will be adequate to avoid disaster for a round trip from Houston to Big Bend National Park and back before I can manage to properly deal with it (e.g. Gowesty's repair kit or just all new stainless steel pipes).

Other than the leak that sprung when I pressurized the system to slightly over operating pressure, the cooling system, and everything else on the van for that matter, has operated seemingly flawlessly for the ~1000 miles I've put on it since buying it 2 weeks ago.

After going for a couple laps around the block driving as jerky as a could and messing about with the heater controls I am quite confident the system is near perfectly bleed. This gowesty pump is pretty slick, seems much easier than the bong and crazy jacking methods Ive read about.

Now the new observations: when I am driving the temperature stays really low, just above the white park at the bottom of the gauge. occasionally it makes it to halfway from the white mark to the LED, but it has never touched the LED. However, when idling and not moving the radiator fan keeps the temps stable exactly at the LED. I have never just idled it long enough to realize this. In conjunction with the fact that I had just replaced the coolant I jumped to the conclusion I was overheating. In actuality, sounds like the system is functioning fine.

SO, Im thinking this means I either have a thermostat that is stuck open or I have one that is rated for too low of a temperature. Is this something that needs to be addressed immediately? Anything Im missing hear?

Thoughts?

Thanks again guys, I can tell this is going to be an invaluable resource as I get started with this thing. Maybe one day I can return the favor in some way.