Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:24:02 -0800
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: power inverters
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>

I bought one of those 12V crock pots. They don't get hot enough to really do any cooking, nor hot enough to kill bacteria. I think I'd use one to grow bacteria in, tho'.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 12/17/2014 08:45 PM, OlRivrRat wrote: > If a CrockPot is your MainDesire HowBout this > > <http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSL-350-Quart-Slow-Cooker/dp/B0013IR88A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418877651&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+crock+pot&pebp=1418877665606> > > > On 17 Dec , 2014, at 7:34 PM, David Bjorkman wrote: > >> Thanks Ken. You are a helpful guy. I have the 2nd deep cycle battery setup and would only run a large watt load if the engine was running. In my perfect setup (still in my head) a 4 to 6 gage wire would go to the inverter as close to the house battery (under driver's seat) as possible. I would like to avoid the cabinet due to usually filling it to go camping/road trip. Not sure about that. Behind the seat is fire extinguisher, oil, various racks and pokers for dinner and marshmallows, gloves. etc. Anyhow, said inverter output would go, via 12 gage, to an outlet, mayhaps in the cabinet next to the fridge 110v outlet. >> I was just curious about, with loss due to inverter being an inverter, how many watts would be OK with that 90 amp alt. If you are saying 1600 is about max safely, let me know. I'm thinking of a crock pot while driving for 4 to 7 hours. >> Dave b. >> >> >> On 12/17/14, kenneth wilford (Van-Again) wrote: >> >> Dave, you have to ask yourself what you want to power with it? Then you >> can size it appropriately. I would recommend a setup that we have done a >> few times now. 2nd deep cycle battery under the driver's seat, then mount >> the inverter right behind the seat. You want to the run of wiring from the >> battery to the inverter to me as short as possible. Some of the new new >> inverters have little digital displays for the remaining battery voltage, >> and also sense when something is plugged in and needs power and turn >> themselves on and off automatically (awesome!). I have installed 1600 watt >> units and they seem to do fine and would do most everything that you would >> want. Let me know if I can help you further. >> >> Ken >> >> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 6:39 PM, David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@verizon.net> >> wrote: >>> >>> Hi All; >>> >>> I'm looking into power inverters. About how many watts can I safely get >>> out of an inverter with a 90 amp alternator in an '87 Westy running an >>> inline Golf engine? >>> >>> Dave B. >>> >> >> >> -- >> Thanks, >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com