Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:24:26 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Rear heater core tips

Hi helpful listers,

Well my rear heater core exchange project is almost complete. It was a warmer then usual 35 F out tonight so I went out to tackle the repair. I had started the project a few days ago and when i went out I found that coolant was dripping from the area where the large flip valve connected to the old heater. All i had done was pull the core part way out of the housing in preparation. Before that I had not felt any coolant but only smelled it when the fan was turned on.

now I have removed the old core and replaced the O ring in the area i found leaking. I’ve re connected everything and now am going to try to wash coolant that leak out despite my clamps and many towels. More coolant then I thought came out probably three cups or so soaking my rags during my slow work. So tips wanted. I’m concerned about the coolant leaking and the air in the core. Can I just add some to the over flow tank?

next what is the best thing to use to wash out the area? I do think I contained the spill to just under the fan and some on the floor of the seat cabinet.

I’m also concerned about how tight to get those two bolts at the valve connection. as there are no directions I’d appreciate any tips before starting this van up to hopefully find I did more good then harm.

Eric Caron 85 GL auto Westfalia