Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2014 23:01:43 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: super cheap 88k orig mi. '87 westy for sale $4000

> i dont personally know the seller, im not trying to sell the van for him. > im just saying i feel its worth what he is asking and its a good solid affordably priced > westy that could be really nice with minimal effort.

Like I said, I'm sure he'll get the $4k asking price. IMO it's not a bargain given its flaws, but I don't think it's overpriced either. Like you said, he's probably asking about what it's worth. As for being really nice with minimal effort, there are a lot of unknowns. It is entirely possible that it could be up and running and cleaned up a bit for $6k, which would make for a decent and very cheap Westy (albeit one that needs a paint job). But the worst-case scenario is that it turns out to have a broken odometer rather than 89k original miles, needs heads, an auto trans, and who knows what else, and ends up costing thousands more. In that scenario you could be approaching what it might cost to buy a half decent (but not perfect) ready-to-drive Westy with a known repair history. Given the lack of service/repair history and evidence of corner-cutting like the spray paint, I just wasn't feeling warm and fuzzy about the odds of it needing $2k worth of work and not $4k or $5k. But I'm sure someone will gladly take the chance, and hopefully it will pay off. It would be especially well suited for someone who has a donor vehicle with a good drivetrain at their disposal just in case. Someone with a donor vehicle and the time/ability to do the work themselves could make out pretty well.

Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com