Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:39:30 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How does water even get in here? (Side window lip rust). And
              questions about window seals and adhesive.
Comments: To: Mike South <msouth@gmail.com>

FWIW, my '88 leaks at the forward lower part of the driverside window seal behind the pillar behind driver door. This vehicle may also have had collision body work done on the driver side. I have to wonder if the body panels were still misaligned and causing a leak at the window seal.

Another theory. I assume water can get in between "flat" outer edge of seal and body but even if seal is good, can water get in at ledge of seal where it meets glass? If so, maybe an appropriate sealant applied at this ledge would provide a temporary fix or at least slow down water ingress?

Neil.

On 12/23/14, Mike South <msouth@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1985 Westy (Bostig conversion, manual trans (converted)) > > Uploaded two pictures which you can see at this link: > > http://imgur.com/cICZ1uR,iQmOCJq > > I am replacing the window because it broke while I was driving. When I got > the window out, I was kind of surprised to see rust there. > > Question 1: how does water get there in the first place (out of both > curiosity and the desire to understand what needs to be done to prevent > recurrence)?

> > Bentley section 64 shows, for model years 1986 or later, precise dimensions > for a bead of adhesive to be placed on the outside of the van. They > indicate that this exact amount is used so that minimal gets to the > inside. I'm guessing this means that the adhesive gets dragged in by the > seal as the window is placed. Then you're supposed to use a solvent to > clean off any on the inside. >

> Question 5: Would there be any advantage to/problem with applying adhesive > after the installation?

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>