Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Dec 2014 13:03:30 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: A gadget to do your wash on the road
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

On 12/29/2014 7:13 PM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > For "on the road," I would probably use local laundromats. Bring in a > book and an mp3 player with earbuds and relax. > > I don't do much in the way of road trips but an annual event for me in > September is to camp for two weeks on the bank of the Deschutes river. I > don't camp where there are any facilities or amenities other than a > place to park the van, pretty scenery, and quiet. I don't take two > week's worth of clothing, so I had to find a way to wash up me > unmentionables and suchlike. I found that a five-gallon bucket, a Gamma > Lid, and a toilet plunger do a fine job of laundering the clothes. > > Like <http://fivegallonideas.com/washing-machine/> > > One load requires a wash and two rinses. I do have plenty of water to > work with, having that river right there. There doesn't seem to be any > such thing as a soap suitable for laundry that is 100% harmless to the > environment -- even dumping the wash water on the ground it's gonna soak > in and probably cause all kind of trouble for the local bitty little > critters and plants and fungi and soil bacteria. I use Woolite which > seems about as gentle a soap as I can find. > > For drying, a clothesline works. Of course, nothing dries slower than > cotton. > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > Bend, Ore. > > On 12/29/2014 01:58 PM, Jim Felder wrote: >> I am well aware of all the creative clothes-washing apparati that >> have been >> featured on this list over the years, but I couldn't help but pass this >> (expensive) idea along. >> >> It's called the Scrubba, and is available from amazon.com. >> >> <http://www.climatestore.com/scrubba-washbag> >> >> Makes me wonder if any old drybag would work. >> >> Jim >> Some of my backpacking buds tell me the "Dr. Bronner's Pure Peppermint Castile Soap" is not a problem with the environment, but I would think Woolite might be a distant 2nd place. I wonder what the folks use that go on those 2 week Grand Canyon raft trips??? Oh wait!! They're spozed to stink when they get to the take out.....my bad......

DM&FS