Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Dec 2014 09:45:18 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rebuilt transaxle grinds
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

Yes, check ALL of these things!

When I experienced a warped clutch it was on my '65 MGB, and that car has a non-synchronized first gear. So, that would grind all the time, and grind just a bit going into second. On 2-3 and 3-4 shifts it didn't grind.

Turned out the plate had been attached to the diaphragm at an angle and never fully retracted.

I put up with that a lot longer than I should have.

Stuart

-----Original Message----- From: OlRivrRat [mailto:OlRivrRat@comcast.net] Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 9:21 AM To: Stuart MacMillan Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Rebuilt transaxle grinds

Could be PilotBearing ~ But would suspect that All Gears would Grind if that is the issue ~

Could be that the Clutch is not Disengaging Completely ~ But Again, that should cause Grind in AllShifts ~

Could be a LinkageAdjustment ~ But that UsuallyManifests as DifficultShifts, not Grinds ~

What Intensity of Grinding are you getting ~ Minor but Shifts or Severe & Won't GoIn ~

If Minor ~ What TranyFluid is being used ~

Does it happen all the time or just when Cold ~

ORR ~ DeanB