Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jan 2015 01:27:47 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heat inside the camper.. No Carbon Monoxide detectors another
              option.

For a permanent type installation with only 12 volt available.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/35-series-dual-lp-carbon-monoxide-alarm-black/70012

Dennis

One of the challenges is finding one that works on 12 or battery. Here is a battery operated unit that even has a readout display. There are many now available including some with smoke detectors included as well. RV's are required to have CO, Smoke and flammable gas, (propane), detectors. Anything with heat should have these. It is interesting that the propane detectors will also let you know when batteries are off gassing. Even though my motor home has the batteries in an outside compartment when they are reaching final charge the propane detector will usually sound. Does the same for hair spray and the like.

Dennis

http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-CO410-Battery-Monoxide/dp/B000OCSAUQ/ref=sr_1_23?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1420351974&sr=1-23&keywords=co+detectors

Say - any currently recommended CO detectors?

1984 Vanagon GL Westphalia, full camper, all stock.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> Date: Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM Subject: Re: Heat inside the camper.. No To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com

Actually the real scary part is that when combustion is taking place in an oxygen deficient atmosphere there will be a huge increase in the production of carbon monoxide, (CO). And we should all know what problems that can cause.

Dennis

The scary part of this is you were not breathing heavy. This means that O2 was being depleted but there was not much CO2 in the air. Your body does not react to absence of oxygen, it reacts to a buildup of CO2.

If instead of watching the flame you had dozed off, you might have just gone to sleep and not woken back up!!!!

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.grow-sun.com www.raspberryproject.com http://goo.gl/niRzVw