Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jan 2015 18:52:02 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Original Vanagon heater for sale ...

> Yes Sir, this is the Eberspracher BA-6 gas heater. It is most rare to find for sale. > And to find one as a complete set with all the items one needs to have it work. > Zoltan

I put a BA6 in my '77 Westy years ago and loved it. It has a rotary dashboard knob so you have instant heat while driving (very valuable on an air-cooled van that has poor heat otherwise). A timer allows you to turn it on for 15 minutes or so, so you can wake up while camping, turn the knob, and go back to sleep knowing it will shut off automatically. It mounts under the van, and consists of numerous parts, including a shut-off sensor, blower, fuel pump, relay, ducting, etc., all of which need to work properly or the whole thing won't work. Most of the replacement parts cannot be found new. It is possible to set up and adjust the BA6 outside of the vehicle and then mount it once you're sure it works. There is a service/technical manual that covers all adjustment and testing of the system. If you can't find it online, a copy of my original BA4 manual exists somewhere online (on type2.com, I believe). All of the info is the same as on the BA6, except that the BA4 (originally found on the VW 411 and 412) is smaller and has no blower.

A virtually identical model, the DA6, was offered for diesel vans in Canada and elsewhere, so in terms of making it fit under the van, I'd imagine it is possible to fit it to a gas engined water cooled Vanagon.

As an aside, years ago I went through emissions inspection with my '77 Westy that had the BA6 heater. The inspection mechanic mistakenly put the emissions testing wand in the gas heater's tailpipe instead of the engine's tailpipe. Since the heater was off, the emissions showed perfectly clean - a zero emissions vehicle! Without batting an eyelash, he passed it. :-)

Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com