Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jan 2015 10:25:54 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cooling/fuel/exhaust System Overhaul
Comments: To: Kevin Duvernay <kduvey@gmail.com>

I recently did part of that job; cooling system rebuild. Consider allowing time for coolant pump replacement. Exhaust removal could well add time (snapped studs) A cable driven tool for removing coolant hose "spring" clamps is very useful. You might want to consider doing the long heater hoses now. By the time you get the long pipes out, etc. etc., running new hose is not much more time. I'd suggest a kit for this. (Hose, new T's at hoses to rear heater core) Amount of time required would obviously vary from person to person but were it me, I'd allow for more than 3 days. But then I move slower. ;)

btw. I'm very curious of your motor mount - off idle theory. I've gone through all I can on my '88 (idle switch etc) but a bucking remains that seems to be intermittent and is exacerbated when going over speed bumps; I have to dump the clutch when doing so. At cold start up, I now hear a "clunk" or "thump" at rear and wonder if all told isn't caused by a broken motor mount. Thanks. Neil.

On 1/8/15, Kevin Duvernay <kduvey@gmail.com> wrote:

> - RMW SS cooling pipes > - RMW SS coolant distribution tower > - GoWesty billet tstat housing (with new tstat) > - all new coolant hoses

> - new motor mounts (already installed a new poly transmission mount > bushing... trying to sort out some bucking I'm experienceing with on/off > throttle) > > > I live in Houston and there is this cool DIY garage where you can rent a > bay with a lift for ~100$ per day and it includes access to most any tools > I would need. I intend on renting a bay for 2-3 days (enough?) and knocking > all this out myself. My high level workflow plan is: > > -drop gas tank > -install new SS coolant pipes > -install new cooling hoses, tstat housing, and SS distribution tower > -install new hard plastic fuel lines and fuel filter > -re-seal and re-install fuel tank > -remove old rusty exhaust > -replace motor mounts > -install new SS exhaust > > > Anyone see any problems with the plan? Anything I'm overlooking? > > One concern I have is I don't know what all is involved in replacing all > the coolant hoses. How big of a job is it? Is it as simple as removing the > old and replacing with new or are there other major components that need to > be removed for access to any of the hoses? I do not plan to replace the > heater cores or hoses yet, that will be a project in itself for later. > > Are there any other parts I should consider replacing while I'm in there? > Spare parts I should have on hand in case I damage something? > > Any advise on the job or preparation would be much appreciated. > > Cheers > Kevin >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>