Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jan 2015 15:06:48 -0500
From:         TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fuel filter opinions wanted

Hey all, This is mostly for the Syncro crew but anyone who feels they have something to offer, feel free to jump in. I'm prepping to pull the tank on my Syncro (not the most glamorous of jobs) but now that I'm more of an "old bull vs young bull" I'm getting most. if all of the parts I might need well beforehand. In fact, I haven't even gotten around to pulling the transmission yet. I"m not doing that till at I least feel I'm fully stocked with the right stuff as once all that stuff is out and spread around the shop floor, it's a certified disaster area. But, I digress... For those who have not had the pleasure of pulling a fuel tank on your beloved Vanagon, the Synco adds a whole new level of "You've lost that loving feeling". Once you get that beastie out, you'll find that there is a filter *in* the tank also. Commonly known as a "sock filter" (although, I feel that's a misnomer) it's usually listed at the "Syncro in tank filter". Most people tell stories of 20 year old mushy piles of mesh as the only thing reminiscent of said filter once they get into their tank. 20 years seems long enough for a filter even if from "Der Fatherland Inc." but unfortunately, again, this is *inside* the tank. A tank which requires, removal of the engine, removal of the transmission, *and* a multi-hour, dirt encrusted, sand spraying, slug fest won only by lots of long pry bars, cursing, and more pry bars to get that tank out. Certainly followed but plenty of cold frost beverage (Yes, Pulp Fiction). Which brings us to the parts issue. Very few vendors actually have or list the part. No slam on them. However, Van-Cafe does list it: < http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1420841643175/page_1958_1201/syncro-in-tank-fuel-filter.html>. As you can see in their description, they mention, "...we have never had the need to install this filter". Upon searching for that elusive filter, I came across this replacement part at the FAS website: < http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/39-syncro-in-tank-fitting/#.VLK5QuyXiZt>. Now, on a technical basis, filters are always a good thing. I think we can all agree on that. Especially on a Syncro that may actually travel to distant places where the gas may not meet federal specs for particulates. Possible yes, but not highly probable. Not sure why a single good filter wouldn't catch the particles later downstream. Still, the boy scout motto prevails. So....Would it be better to use the FAS device and just forego the filter OR just deal with the point that many years from now, I or most certainly my kids, will be stuck at this same crossroads? I'm know which way I'm leaning but... one or several of you are far more experienced in both the parts area and real world exposure to this part so I'm doing my research.

Thanks,

TJ 87 Syncro