Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:26:00 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Can 240 volts damage the fridge?
Comments: To: Vincent Dow <ianvincentdow@GMAIL.COM>

A 3 phase building losing a leg can be a very bad event. Motors especially don’t like it. Proper systems will have fuse coordination so downstream issues do not blow the supply fuses. It is more likely the incoming fuse failed first and the AC compressors then trying to run with the single phase that failed along with the equipment fuses. For equipment that matters I believe is phase loss detectors to shut stuff down before things burn out.

Dennis

Dennis! I had the weirdest thing happen on a 3/phase/208

This was a simple theatre in which I built partitions in Montreal. I re-ran a ton of BX circuits that had been previously hidden by a drop ceiling (they looked very crappy)

One night I get a bunch of text messages from the theatre director. They'd heard a loud BOOM, and then lights started going out (during a show!!!) Some lights were flashing on-and-off. Certain wall switches were functioning, but had begun controlling the wrong lights!!! Imagine my horrible feelings. I've done a lot of electrical work, but I'm not schooled.

Reading voltages in the load center- getting 52 volts to ground. Weird.

Turned out, the HVAC unit up on the roof had blown a fuse (from lack of maintenance) and that caused a 600V/40 amp fuse to blow at the building's service entrance. The safety switch fuses were all good on my floor, so I was going nuts, trying to figure what terrible thing I had done. All this time the theatre directors were wishing they'd never hired me, and I was wishing I'd never picked up a pair of pliers.

So, a three phase/600V service, when it loses one leg, the neighboring leg splits itself to it. Hence 52 Volts to ground at the panel. When I began working on the place, i ignored the heavy transformer bolted to the floor in front of the circuit panel. I'll never ignore one of those again. In Quebec, all the newer commercial construction gets a 600V service, and the building owner supplies the step-down transformer. The wires going into the transformer are small 3 X # 6awg) , the wires coming out are 4/0)

live and learn. My reputation was restored with those guys. But I advise everyone to stay away from stuff they don't know now.