Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Jan 2015 20:42:21 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Foil instrument cluster wiring repair?
Comments: To: Michael McSwain <michaelmcswain@GMAIL.COM>

Clean the copper trace well, add a dab of flux ( rosin) if you have it to the copper, go in fast and hot with fine tipped iron.

The wire you're trying to solder to the copper should be fine and tinned. The plastic will melt but not too badly if you go in, as I said, hot and quickly with very fine tipped (and tinned) iron.

You can buy adhesive backed copper foil too. I think michaels carries some for stained glass work.

Good luck

Alistair

> On Jan 17, 2015, at 5:27 PM, Michael McSwain <michaelmcswain@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > So for the soldering, I should just think of it like tack welding I guess?

> Would you still try and let the copper melt the solder? Seems like that > might take longer than 4 seconds. > > The PCB sounds good, but at that price I think I would probably replace > the whole thing with the Gowesty kit. It's bound to happen again right? > > > > >> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Jon VO <jondvo@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> You could try the PCB trace repair kit, not sure how well it will adhere.

>> Use some denatured alcohol on a swab to clean and try the repair. I've used >> this stuff on FR4 PCB's and it works fine. >> http://www.soldertools.net/products/PCB-Trace-Repair-Kit.html >> Jon >> >> >> >>> On 1/17/2015 3:58 PM, Michael McSwain wrote: >>> >>> Hoping to repair rather than replace or completely rewire my instrument >>> cluster wiring. >>> I went to change out the little lights in the instrument cluster >>> (speedo/warning lights clock/etc.) for LEDs and ended up tearing the part >>> of the ribbon for the speedo light. >>> >>> If your not familiar with the way the lights plug in, they fit inside a >>> circular cut out of the ribbon that has some copper foil/ribbon exposed.

>>> Push/Twist/Lock. >>> >>> Well, either when I took the old light off or put the new light on I tore >>> that little copper piece. Now when I press down and twist the new light >>> into place it just pushes the torn piece of copper out of the way instead >>> of making contact. No lights... Part of the copper foil is still there >>> though and I'm debating finding some new foil that I might be able to cut >>> into a circle and just glue it down over the circle that I tore so that >>> it's at least pressing up against the remaining copper and also making >>> good >>> contact with my bulb. Probably not the most permanent fix, but I'm hoping >>> it might work until next bulb replacement or corrosion starts in. >>> >>> I see Gowesty has a total replacement kit $$$$, and I've seen posts where >>> people have rewired the whole thing diy. Neither of those options sound