Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:23:49 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Trailing Arm Replacement Fun! Welding Aluminum with a
              MIG.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

110, 220 switching sounds like a great feature. My Hobart can use a spool gun. Of course Dennis doesn't need this, but this tutorial might help others:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/aluminium-setup.htm

Along with list member help, I found that website very helpful for learning a bit about MIG.

One of these days I'll take the plunge on a spool gun purchase and try modifying the intake manifold on my Jetta swap, (adapting 2 different intake manifolds).

Neil.

On 1/19/15, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > I prefer to use a spool gun for aluminum. The short distance eliminates the > issues with the soft material fouling the liner. I just got a Millermatic > 211. This welder can work off 110 or 220 and supports a spool gun. The auto > set feature is a nice touch. So far it has been a he improvement over my > old Century. The Hobarts at Northern tool are also great units at more > reasonable pricing. I bought the Miller due to the Inverter technology. > > Dennis > >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>