Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jan 2015 15:51:54 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weird lighting issue
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Dennis was, as usual, correct. I've got everything working again after polishing up a lot of dirty connections, including sanding primer off the side marker light connections (and one bulb), replacing two blown fuses, and cleaning a really gunky hazard light switch.

A couple of questions about those side marker lights: 1) Is the red reflector glued or otherwise attached to the white backing plate, or should it be? 2) Regarding the black plastic that protects the side marker light wiring and attaches to above white backing plate: Should it come through the hole in the sheet metal or should it be behind it? The light doesn't seem to tighten up all the way if the plastic part is protruding through the sheet metal . . .

Thanks for inspiring me, Dennis! Marc Perdue

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Since you have a number of issues there is not an easy on line solution. Since so many things were disconnected start with fuses. Keep in mind the running lights have a separate fuse right/left. Turn signal not working one side could also be the hazard light switch. Work it a few times. It is not unusual for wires to break near the ends from being handled. The insulation can look good with the corroded wires breaking inside. This is becoming very common on engine harnesses. Get the Bentley and copy the needed pages, get your meter and start at one end of each circuit and work your back. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Marc Perdue > Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:44 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Weird lighting issue > > Hi all, > > I've been working on putting my van back together after getting it painted and I've got a weird lighting issue. I've got all the lights plugged in and installed, but I'm seeing the following symptoms on my > '87 auto Westy: > > Engine on, headlight switch on, the headlights work properly, both low beams and high beams. Neither of the right side running lights come on, the yellow one in front nor the red one in the passenger side taillight assembly. Neither of the rear side marker lights come on. > The turn signals do not work. With the hazard switch on, both the front and rear passenger side yellow lights blink, but not the driver's side ones. I haven't had an assistant to be able to determine whether the brake lights are working. > > My gut feeling is that something is disconnected somewhere or connected incorrectly. I installed the headlights, taillights, and front turn signal lights myself and am 99% certain they are connected correctly. The body shop installed the rear side marker lights. I was replacing the screws with stainless screws and discovered the plastic nuts in the passenger side marker light were missing and that they had cut two thin pieces of wood, drilled holes in them, and used them as nuts to install the side marker light. I haven't checked the driver's side marker light yet. > > Ideas? > Marc Perdue