Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Feb 2015 14:31:12 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removing stuck O2 sensor
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Thanks for pointing that out, I haven't seen the latest on that kit. GW will not give up on the WBX, but at some point they will be forced to.

Article says $2500 for the "new" kit (someday), so, with engines from $4300 to $6000, you are looking at $6800 to $8500 for an obsolete, poorly breathing, cam-in-block 8 valve 1980's engine. And, you'll likely not get all your core back, then there is shipping. Add $1000.

That's absurd, you could do a Bostig conversion with a brand new Zetec crate engine for that. Personally, I think GW should team with Bostig and invest their time in something modern. They could likely get a Ford Zetec conversion approved, and both companies would benefit.

But, they are in California and committed to the WBX, and can sell vans for pretty much whatever they want. Their biggest hurdle will be getting CARB approval for an add-on FI kit, which may be impossible. Or, they will rely on it looking like a stock engine when it goes for testing.

Stuart

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=1532

but then it may not be an affordable option for some folks.

Interesting article though, IMO. And the amount of R&D they're doing must be substantial. I applaud their efforts that's for sure. I'd be curious to know what the price of a GW engine + this kit might be.

On 2/2/15, Jon VO <jondvo@gmail.com> wrote:

> ..... The VW motor is fine, and > I have had good results from all of mine, but I would like to see an > improved engine management system, if it was not too $$.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>