Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Feb 2015 23:34:41 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Canadian Westfalia Shore Power Cord Warning
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Just a note that many of the Canadian Westys are wired differently than the US units. All of our have a lug connection with a removable cord. The Canadian vehicles have the power cord connected permanently and they pulled out or if there is a disconnect it is lower on the body panel.

Dennis

I agree; the failed plug on that '88 may well be a replacement. It doesn't look like the one I removed off my '81 Westy. If I recall, the plug on my '81 was molded to the outer layer of the cable; there was no metal clamp.

I tested the campground outlet before plugging into it. It tested good. All I've ever run on that '88 110VAC system is a small heater, usually on low setting. But thanks Dennis. I'll double check polarity of the system on the vehicle shore power parts. The OEM Westy circuit breaker is present. The green ground wire is properly bonded to the OEM terminal on body located behind the Westy cabinets.

I have to wonder if the shore power cable on this '88 is aftermarket. It's thicker than what is installed on my '81 Westy. If it is, this may explain the connector that was used.

Can anyone tell me if the cable shown in this image: http://tinyurl.com/qaeoo7d is what's typically used in later model year Westies?

On 2/2/15, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I find it a bit hard to believe that style of plug was used for an > outside connector. You want molded weather resistant cord sets. It > also looks like some excessive current may have been involved but a > bad connection can also cause excessive heating. You need to test the following: > Do you still have the circuit breaker inside the camper? It should be > 15 amp since the interior wiring is 14 gauge. > Is the polarity correct? The breaker needs to be on the hot, (black) wire. > Was the polarity correct at the campsite? Get yourself one of plug in > testers to test polarity and ground. > Is the body of the van properly bonded to the ground connection? > > Dennis

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>