Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Feb 2016 11:42:44 -0500
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon sighting in Placencia Belize on Wednesday morning

So, I went on my yearly vacation/Vanagon maintenance trip to Placencia Belize this year and just got back yesterday. We were driving around my friend's 87 silver Wolfsburg the entire two weeks we were down there but I didn't see any other VW vans except for a later model LT in Belmopan until the very last day. We were leaving in the resort shuttle van (Toyota Hi Ace) and were passed by a later model Vanagon Westy coming up the Placenica road. It was dark brown or maybe gray in color and had a large roof rack on the top with a bunch of stuff on it. I am sure it was someone doing the Central America/South America tour thing that is getting more and more popular as the roads are getting better and better each year. Just didn't know if anyone knew who this might be? I don't follow all of the blogs out there but maybe some of you do. The worst part was that I wasn't driving the Vanagon for once so we couldn't at least wave to each other and have it mean something.

Drove the 87 from Placenica over to Belmopan (capital) and back one day to meet a friend and get the van registration renewed. For a year the insurance was $150 and the registration was $100 (US dollars). The funny part was that we went to the main DMV of the country in the capital city and there was only a couple of people in there getting vehicle things done and one lone government official along with some office girls. We got the van registration renewal paid for and the girl tells us that they have no windshield stickers. They are just out, but come back in a month to get one! Imagine your local DMV being so low on people and also not having the one thing that you actually need from them in the first place, a new registration sticker! They have one job! But I got a receipt that I can show a policeman and to be honest the van will probably sit until the next time I come down next year and drive it since the owner comes down once every two years on average.

Hope you enjoyed this story and if you get a chance to visit Belize I highly recommend it. If you see a silver Vanagon Wolfsburg and it is the last week of January, first week of February, that will be me :-)

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com