Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:55:11 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Diesel van..long

Sorry for the new post lost the thread.

Jim and others who are OK with stock diesels in Vanagons...I did not intend my post as disrespectful of your ride....If they work for you, that's what matters. My post was for those who may be contemplating getting one, like Neil, but may have never had the experience of one in motion. I was stunned, even frightened, when I rode in one, so I'm suggesting that, to avoid being surprised, find someone to show you before you just assume something like " Well, ya, I know they'll be slow, but they can't be THAT slow, I can deal with slow...." or something like that..

My one trip up a grade of ~10mi of 6%....being passed by a middle aged cyclist (my SO) and just barely beating my own personal peddling time up that same grade, that was a real Eye-opener! During that hour-long+ climb, with 3 people aboard we had multiple irate and impatient drivers doing extremely dangerous passing attempts, despite our using every available turnout. Not a safe trip. ~12mph was what we could do.... I suppose a 5sp manual might have helped, we couldn't hold speed in 2nd with the 4sp. Once we reached the plateau at the summit we were able to just make about 50 mph on the flat, but that was again causing repeated sketchy and dangerous passing, and we were having rude gestures despite always pulling aside whenever we could.

Now my inline Jetta Vanagon is no speed demon but the very same trip with 3 up takes well under half the time and I don't piss everyone off or get rude gestures and dangerous passing (or both of those at the same time)

Consider the diesel was meant to push a vw rabbit or the tiny, light rabbit pickup... and those were considered very slow, at perhaps 1/3 the weight and half the aero drag of a vanagon..

Again no disrespect to those who's diesel vans work for them..I thought one might work for me, till I tried one..