Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:31:29 -0800
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC [Friday] Natural Gas regulator
Comments: To: Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@shaw.ca>,
          Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

Stuart -- thank for suggestion but grillparts.com doesn't list the model -- a "Superb by Broilmaster" Model SBH200-1 Natural Gas Grill.

Near as I can tell, Broilmaster sold those w/o regulators to distributors who bunged in whatever regulator they had on hand, as the regulator is not in the owner/assembly manual's part number listing and shown only as a generic circular object labeled "regulator" in the assembly illustration.

Phil, good point.

We had a serviceman out here a couple years ago to diagnose a stove problem in the house and he measured the pressure and it was spot on at 7'' W.C. and the stove has not changed behavior since then so I suspect that the natural gas pressure is still good.

The regulator on this BBQ is marked: "GLOBAL Model 7010 PSIG 1/2, Nat 4''-LPG 10'' "

Which suggests a further step-down in pressure from 7'' W.C. to 4'' W.C.

(How the regulator could be marked for two pressures begs a question: how does it know what kind of gas it is being fed so it can select between the two output pressures?)

I suppose I /could/ try bypassing it, but the resulting flames from the burners might be more spectacular than normal, and unlikely to be the proper fuel / air ratio for a clean burn.

Googling isn't helping find this part. Robertshaw makes a few kits that are said to fit the 7010 series of regulators, one labeled for dual fuels (but sez lpg 3.5'' and ng 11'') so it's not a solid fit although it does look physically like this device.

Oh well, it's not Friday and this grill ain't a Vanagon and we can't pretend that it somehow qualifies for listworthiness because it's not even a propane grill. I'll have to keep looking. Many thanks, all.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 02/21/2015 11:18 AM, Phil Zimmerman wrote: > Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:47:06 -0800 > Reply-To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > > On the barbecue. No, not a propane regulator, but a natural gas regulator. > > ------ Sometimes the regulator packs up and won't > open when the wall spigot is opened. I have to smack it with a spanner* > a couple times, and that don't always work, either…… > --------------- > > Jack, > > The above reads kinda strange.. > Why another regulator on the natural gas (NG) line to your natural gas barbie? > The NG system in your house already has a regulator at the main gas meter.. > > A NG spigot on a patio usually has a shut-off valve but not a regulator. > > NG runs at 3 inches of water column which is really low pressure. If the existing regulator > is sticking… this needs to be checked out…. and removed if redundant? > > Perhaps time for a licensed gas fitter to be called in to check this out… > Unless Jack wants to play mister science guy and mess around making a nanometer > to check the NG supply pressure at the patio gas line spigot.. > > Pz > hiding under his rock off the West Coast > (safe from NG explosions emitting from Bend, Oregon) > > =========== > * I use a natural gas regulator spanner, of course, not a propane > regulator spanner. Different ratings. > (yes, NG 3" of Water Column, LP 10-13" of WC) >