Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Feb 2016 16:20:26 +0000
From:         Stuart <ve3smf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Jump starting without opening battery compartment?
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM>

You may wish to look at using Anderson Power Pole connectors.  These are used in many applications and are often used by towing companies and the off road crowd to power front or rear winches.  They come in various power (amp) ratings.  The nice thing about Anderson Power Pole connectors, if they are assembled correctly, you can not hook them up wrong.  They will only go together one way.  No need to even see the colour of the posts (Red/Black) ref:  http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/sb350-sb-series-350-amp.html  The configuration that I have in my 1986 Vanagon Westfalia GL 2.1 L auto camper is a high current power pole connector connected to the starter battery, with the Anderson Power Pole connecter mounted in from of the passenger seat base.  I have a second high current power pole connector connected to the house battery, with the Anderson Power Pole connecter mounted in from of the driver seat base.  I have a matching high current cable with Anderson Poll connectors at each end of the cable.  This jumper cable can be used to easily connect the house battery to the starter battery, in the case where the starter battery is discharged.  All of this can be done without opening access to the starter/house batteries. As an amateur radio operator I run various VHF/UHF and HF radios while using my Vanagon.  The use of the Anderson Power Pole connectors is very common in the amateur radio emergency service, and is the de facto standard.  There are power distribution devices for running all sorts of current demand, and I have most of my 12 VDC devices and radios converted to use Anderson Power Pole connector of the appropriate current ratings. When using shore power, I use a 20 ampre AC to DC power supply and connect it to what is called a Super PWRgate PG40S.  This device lets me run the Higher current DC power from shore power/generator into my radio equipment, and at the same keep charging the house battery.  As soon as the shore power/generator stops, the power automatically switches to the house battery.  Sort of a high capacity UPS. You can also make up a booster cable that has one end with the standard large battery clips, and the other end with the matching high current Anderson Pole Pole connector, if you have to boost from an external power source.  I use all sorts of various combinations of power supply in my vanagon, using the fused Anderson Power Poles, and the matching power distribution system.   In fact, I use a similar system in my home radio shack.  I have a high capacity AC to DC power supply, and a high capacity gell cell that connects to a Super PWRgate PG40S and a fused Power Pole distribution system.  All my VHF/UHF and HF radios at home in the ham shack run off this system.  If the AC power goes down, all the radio gear keeps on working.   Lots of combinations available....... Cheers! Stuart Ref:  West Mountain Radio - RIGrunner Models  |   | |   | |   |   |   |   |   | | West Mountain Radio - RIGrunner ModelsA RIGrunner is the most convenient and safest way to connect all your 12 VDC equipment to a power source. It is a 13.8 VDC power panel that uses the excellent Ander... | | | | View on www.westmountainrad... | Preview by Yahoo | | | |   |

 ref: West Mountain Radio - DC Power Models   |   | |   | |   |   |   |   |   | | West Mountain Radio - DC Power ModelsWest Mountain Radio offers a variety of power management devices to protect both the radio equipment and the power systems they are connected to. These devices... | | | | View on www.westmountainrad... | Preview by Yahoo | | | |   |

 ref http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=pg40s