Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Feb 2015 10:48:32 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Inline VW Vanagon: 60k miles now

I've had my 84 tin top with a westie interior now for over 60k miles. It has an inline gas vw motor, mounted using the factory diesel engine set up and a 5sp manual trans from a diesel vanagon. I've just been looking at the Fuelly app I began using in September, tracking all my gas consumption with a smartphone... Even including some two weeks with no oxygen sensor operating and over 44 fill-ups I have an average gas mileage of 25.5 mpg. Those who might have doubt's or even some interest in checking their Vanagons against those who've recorded on the Fuelly site can google it and search the vanagons ...

In the appx. 3 mos. since I started with Fuelly I've logged about 10,500mi. which Fuelly says I paid for at $.13 cents/mi. My best tank was 27 mpg. +

Not bad for a used 93 Jetta block with a 92 rabbit head stuck on top...The motor cost me $300 but I did replace some stuff, bringing my cost for this 60k mile(so far) motor to $600.

I ain't sayin this is what everyone should do for Vanagon motors....Whatever turns your wheels....Just putting out MY experience with this often pooh poohed engine for the vanagon.