Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Feb 2015 12:00:06 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/T problems -- fluid level high
Comments: To: Rick Cooper <rickdcooper@GMAIL.COM>

If the fluid is contaminated with coolant it will be an obvious milky white mess. If not look for differential fluid or a bad valve body, torque converter or clogged vent.

Dennis, From my phone. ________________________________ From: Rick Cooper<mailto:rickdcooper@GMAIL.COM> Sent: ‎2/‎22/‎2015 11:00 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: A/T problems -- fluid level high

After having the auto transmission in my '87 2WD overhauled last month, I noticed the ATF fluid level creeping up. I've only driven the vehicle three or four times, for a total of maybe 50 miles. When I checked today the fluid level was way, way up -- maybe 4 inches up the dipstick! I'm guessing the stock cooler has failed, and that I ought to have replaced it at the time of overhauling the transmission.

What are the next steps now? Can I resolve the problem (pending installing a new cooler) by simply taking the stock cooler out of the equation? Is this as simple as connecting the coolant hoses together with a coupling or perhaps removing one and connecting the remaining hose to both connectors, thus creating a loop?

What about the polluted ATF? Will a drain and refill eliminate the problem or do I need a more rigorous flushing procedure? Any and all advice much appreciated!

Rick