Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Mar 2015 09:47:13 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L WBX -oil pressure light flickers at idle
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

How well is the engine idling? A lower than normal idle speed will bring on the low oil pressure light. There is a big difference in the pump performance at 700 vs. 850 rpm. Just figure I'd ask since you have an automatic. Try bumping the idle speed just a tad to 950 or so. Will the light go out if you just go into neutral?

As for Jim's suggestion of changing brands there some tolerances and some brands tend to run higher viscosities than others. Kendall is one of those better choices. A health engine should not high viscosity oil except for extreme situations.

As for you rebuilt engine, who rebuilt it? Very few rebuilders and definitely not will have to ability to properly inspect and re-condition the case. The case is a wear item especially at the main bearings. Just changing parts will not restore the fit of the bearings in the case and they do wear loose and cause pressure losses especially the center bearing which is a split shell. It may so be time to consider the oil pump.

I use the Mobil 1, 15w-50 except for winters like this year where I run the 0w-40 or 5w-40. All my non Vanagons get the 0w-40 all year.

Dennis