Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Mar 2015 09:41:46 -0800
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Appraised Value was Roadside service

I asked Curt Long to chime in as he has experience with appraised vehicles being rolled into balls. Pics: <http://smg.photobucket.com/user/2Ply/library/My%20Mechanical%20Pump%20TDi%20Syncro%20Vanagon?sort=6&page=4> He sent me the following from a FB discussion that he participated in:

Curt said:

Below is the entire content of what I said on Facebook. Maybe you can copy and paste to Vanagon.com what you think covers the subject best??

"In Washington State, you don't need Agreed Value or similar BEFORE the accident. You just need an appraisal that is valid at the time of the accident to set the value of your car. Lacking that, they go to the Book or the book and some of your receipts.. But an appraisal from a recognized appraiser (which John Kincl is) trumps the book. That's how it worked for me when my 90 Syncro Westy TDi was totaled and John did the appraisal.. He stuck by me during the negotiations too.. Insurance wanted to pay me $17,000. they ended up paying $80,000. However, after totaling my receipts, that's what I had in it"

Next was:

"It might be the same in Oregon. Most policies are designed that if they want to total your vehicle, they have to give you the current market value.. If you don't know that your vehicle is better, then you get the book value. If you disagree with that, you have to show proof that yours is worth more by looking for a "Comparable" one that has sold withing about a radius of 200 or 250 miles and within the last 90 days. Failing that search, you can expand the radius until you find one with the same features as yours and then that one or more of them determine your market value.. If it's higher than what they estimate it will cost to repair yours, they pay for repairs. Otherwise, they cash you out.. However, that doesn't mean they have to play fair, and if you bluff easily, they win.. And believe me, they WILL try.. It's just good business."

Next:

"A good appraiser will do the search and document organization for you.. That's what they do. And their word holds up in Court much better than your opinion.. That was one of the key reasons that John Kincl was the man too go to because the Courts AND most of the insurance companies know him and trust him... And he will not choose sides or jack up your value to please you."

Next:

"Another important note about my case: My 90 Syncro Westy TDi was a VERY rare vehicle. Finding a "Comparable" was not an easy task. If you have a 2WD Westy that you think is worth a ton and have all kinds of receipts, but several well thinking family members across town had to sell poor dead Grandpa's pristine VW Camper for a song because they didn't know what it was really worth, THAT can hurt your value big time! It's "Market Value". And I've heard that there are ways that an Insurance Company can get past your "Agreed Value" agreement... Beware. You might also be able to get the best advice about policies from a trusted appraiser, they should know, but don't expect them to recommend a Company, I believe they shy away from that for liability reasons."

Then Brian King said:

"If you're paying a premium on a $10000 value van, and then collect $80K, that seems weird to me? With agreed value, we agree that its worth $40k, I pay for a $40k vehicle, etc.

If I should just run normal insurance, do a yearly appraisal, and be covered... Hmmmmm."

I responded with:

"Nothing weird about it. It's the way the standard policies are written. OF course, there is a risk that if your vehicle is not extremely rare, there will be a greater chance that others have undersold theirs and have set the market price... Just like neighbors selling houses near you. They set the price and the tax base for YOUR house too. But if it's important to guarantee a set value, then do it if you can find the companies that will do that, pay the agreed premiums but be sure to check with those that know the loop-holes so that you can be prepared."

Next:

"I had called my Insurance company several years before the accident and asked what to do about the value of my Syncro and the book value. They said to just keep good records and the receipts. And that's what I did with plenty of videos and photos of the upgrades. This is also an important resource for the appraiser too."

Last: