Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Mar 2015 07:26:45 -0500
From:         Mike Riley <mkriley@FUSE.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 6 Mar 2015 (#2015-105).  10 lines content
              over 200 lines of quote!

Please trim your posts people! ----- Original Message ----- From: Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> To: Recipients of vanagon digests <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 00:00:01 -0500 (EST) Subject: vanagon Digest - 6 Mar 2015 (#2015-105)

Topics of the day:

1. PREPING FOR PAINT JOB ON 87 WESTY (3)

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 22:19:35 -0500 From: Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: PREPING FOR PAINT JOB ON 87 WESTY

Which bolts are you talking about, Mike? To take the poptop off, you remove four nuts on the back end, easy, and four nuts that attach the spring-loaded lift mechanism. All of these should loosen up fairly easily . . . I wouldn't try to remove the rear hinges from the poptop itself.

Marc Perdue

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Michael <mikewelldon@icloud.com> wrote: > Any advice on getting those Pop top bolts out? Mine...will not move. I th= ough about using an impact screwdriver, and figured that might end up in di= saster. > > > >> On Mar 6, 2015, at 3:26 PM, Edward V Barger <edvbarger@mac.com> wrote: >> >> HI >> >> preparing to paint our 87 west pop top >> >> will be pulling the windows and replacing the seals >> >> also removing the top to paint >> >> Keeping it the same dark grey bottom with the light grey pop top >> >> will paint the bottom bit of the body with the bed liner paint to reduc= e the rock chips from gravel / dirt roads >> >> Also plan to ad another of the utility boxes just behind the drivers sid= e door this is to accommodate a 12 volt plug to plug in the solar panel t= he controls fuse box and inverter are mounted behind the drivers seat on t= he side of the cabinet and the batteries are under the drivers seat so th= ink this is a good place to put the utility box >> >> any and all feed back comments etc etc welcomed want to do it co= rrectly >> >> >> Thinking will need >> >> Seals for pop top and luggage rack >> >> >> >> Seals for the windows : windshield , rear hatch and the 4 side window= s >> >> >> >> Wipers for the two front doors >> >> >> >> Seals for the refrigerator vent >> >> >> >> Seals for the 3 boxes on the drivers side for the utilities >> >> >> >> The door seals seem to be OK so do not plan to replace them >> >> >> >> I already have the additional utility box but not installed yet will d= o that at the body shop I have a shop picked and have a price on the total = paint and body work >> >> But will need to find an experienced person to remove and instal the win= dows thinking of having them tinted at the same time ??? >> what else am I missing and where to I get the best quality and price o= n all >> >> >> thanks >> >> ed >> >> >> >> Edward V Barger >> edvbarger@mac.com <mailto:edvbarger@mac.com> >> BARGER LITE >> ed@barger-lite.com >> BARGER-LITE.COM >> 310 401 0633

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 20:03:01 -0800 From: Stacy Schneider <vwcrewman@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: PREPING FOR PAINT JOB ON 87 WESTY

Don't forget a new front glass while you're at it. No sense in doing a= ll that work and putting in an old glass. You wouldn't Drive with bald tires= , a worn glass is the equivalent if an old thread bare tire.=20 A lot of tint shops can do basic rubber set glass installs which a= Vanagon is .=20

Stacy

=20 =20

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 20:54:22 -0800 From: "Mudd \"Not Jack\" Sparrow" <rummaging@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: PREPING FOR PAINT JOB ON 87 WESTY

If this cabinet held the battery, instead of under the driver seat, you coul= d get an Interstate Size 29 Dual Battery.=20

Pretty darn good battery.

I would talk about obstructing water flow but someone would have a tizzy.

It's that good of a battery. I would be loath to go back to the stock batter= ies.=20

The best protection against a dead battery is a big battery.=20

Just need to secure it safely is all.=20

Cover the terminals with rubber thingies, and never never never forsake fuse= s.=20

Terminal block fuses are great too. As a master house fuse.

Only other option is if you could expand the size of the stock battery area t= o hold a size 29.

AGM like to call them size 31. But lead acid gets you size at 29. Battery is= basically the same size. Unless you compare serifs in the in your favorite f= ont.

Maybe 31 is just a more attractive number. It self adds to 4. I don't know. M= aybe Interstate isn't fashion forward with their numbering.

End of vanagon Digest - 6 Mar 2015 (#2015-105) **********************************************