Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Mar 2015 09:21:10 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Level Lifters With Mann W 719/30 Oil Filter
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Hmmm......

I'm pretty sure this was the Rotella I used: (Shell Tech Sheet pdf): http://tinyurl.com/ofwcbtr I read elsewhere it may contain 1325 ppm zinc

I'll try the test. Thanks. I know that engine oil level will show higher when engine up to temp but I'm seeing a marked difference in level between cold and warm engine. Like maybe 1/2 a litre? I understand that the lifter issue was simply a coincidence.

Jack: (Mr. Squirrel or Mudd or ?) Used that oil as I'd heard it was quite robust. Viscosity chosen in anticipation of hotter weather.

Neil.

On 3/1/15, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > The oil filter will not hold pressure, all the check does is prevent the can > and galleys from draining. You have a lifter that is bleeding down and > clacking for few seconds is perfectly acceptable operation. What Vanagons > like to do is have lifter that will clack away for minutes or even miles. > These are likely lifter with a ball check sticking in its seat so that the > oil does not travel through and pump the lifter up. > If you want to test the anti-drain valve on the filter here is a simple > test. Engine real cold, start it, as soon as the light does out turn the > engine off and ten turn the ignition on without starting it. If there is > delay for the oil pressure light to turn on the check in the filter is > working. If you have an oil pressure gauge you can see the pressure drop > off. Again this will only work on the cold engine. > > Depending on the Diesel oil used saved up for a new cat and O2 sensor. > Although most of the new Diesel oils now are low zinc formulas for the > newfangled diesel emissions stuff. > > Dennis

Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>