Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Mar 2015 11:11:25 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Roadside service
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Actually, I just did a check on www.NADAguides.com for my 1985 Westy and got a value range of $5350 to $20,300, with the average retail of $13,600. Not bad, but this is for Seattle. YRMV.

Take a lot of photos inside and out, and keep all your receipts.

Stuart

Almost all insurance policies will only cover Blue Book (or NADA, depending on the company) value for a totaled vehicle. The only way around that at the time of the claim is a negotiation, usually involving a lawyer, but insurance companies have the upper hand in such negotiations. Your only hope is that their ledger guys determine that you are costing them more by your persistence than paying your claim cost. That was the outcome for me on a renter's insurance policy a long time ago when the company wanted to claim that my canoe, which was transporting my personal property when an accident occurred was not a vehicle. It is and I persisted and used the Oxford English Dictionary to prove it. But the bottom line was that they got financially tired of the process and decided to pay up.

If you have a policy where valuation was predetermined, you have either a "stated value" policy or an "agreed value" policy. I went through that in discussion with the very company you left (when I was in Oklahoma, that company does not offer coverage here in Washington). A stated value policy is one where you tell them what the vehicle is worth when you buy the policy. That may be an amount much greater than the book value. The company will gladly sell you the policy, then later, when you total the vehicle, pay you book value, not stated value. An agreed value policy is one where an independent appraiser values the vehicle for the company, and the company agrees to insure it for the appraised value, which of course can be an amount much greater than book value. The caveat is, with most companies, and it is with AAA California, the above mentioned company, that the company restricts the use of the vehicle to some maximum number of miles per year, requires garaging, and so on. AAA CA would have sold me such a policy. I elected to buy a regular policy, and take my chances in the legal realm if and when that time ever arose.

FWIW, we all are at that risk when another party is at fault. That party's insurance company will then be the one we have to deal with. That company will pay book value and we get into the negotiation scenario.

Another FWIW, GoWesty has on their web site a statement that they will assist you with negotiation and perhaps legal expenses if your camper is totaled. I assume they then want you to assign them the right to buy the salvage or that you agree to sell them your interest in the salvage.

And another FWIW, In my mind I have only totaled my vehicle if it is irrepairable. In the insurance company's corporate mind, it is totaled if repair costs exceed the value the company places on the vehicle. So the threshold at which the negotiation scenario arises is quite low for our campers.

mcneely

---- Jvk <joe.novak.6@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > I'm curious to know what replacement value is being calculated at for those of you with the RV coverage. > > I recently dropped CA AAA when I realized they'd only cover me for Blue Book value in case it was totaled... A fraction of its true worth. > I now have a Farmers policy with replacement value based on an independent analysis. > > Jvk > > Sent from my mobile > > > > On Mar 3, 2015, at 7:28 PM, Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > > Here in VT/NH Our Westy is covered thru AAA RV insurance! Works great never had a question or problem. It's an add on policy as a separate policy. It was required for the Westy. Works in Canada also. > > > > Dennis Jowell > > Scotch Hollow Farm > > Newbury, Vermont > > > > > >> On Mar 2, 2015, at 10:25 PM, tysonfroh <tysonfroh@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >> > >> Hi all > >> You can not get rv insurance on a westy they are not rvs. I know I know . But unless it has full plumbing it is not sink , toilet and so one . I went round and round with alstate . If its a plder bus you must use classic auto insurance company like haggardy . > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> Sent from Samsung tablet > >> > >> -------- Original message -------- > >> From Rob <vwrobb@GMAIL.COM> > >> Date: 03/02/2015 11:18 AM (GMT-06:00) To > >> vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject Re: Roadside service > >> > >> The roadside assist that has come with my insurance has typically > >> been reimbursement after I turned in the receipt, the tow truck > >> driver wants cash. > >> > >> Rob > >> vwrobb@gmail.com > >> > >> > >> > >> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 5:55 AM, kenneth wilford (Van-Again) < > >> kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: > >> > >>> Something that no one has mentioned so far is the if you get RV > >>> insurance through Progressive, your roadside assistance is > >>> included at no extra cost. I have Progressive on my 95 Bounder RV

-- David McNeely