Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Mar 2015 18:32:53 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle Control System Explanation, please?
Comments: To: Kevin Duvernay <kduvey@GMAIL.COM>

Oooh, there is no end to the fun with this overly complicated piece of junk system. I've just been through this exercise on my son's '87, and it took me a month. After running a 2.1 for years in my '84, I wish I could just replace the whole FI system with the one from the 1.9. Or with a Subaru engine.

You've eliminated the most common problem, the idle control module. That was one of my problems. Then I found a bad injector and a bad O2 sensor. After a full tune up including adjusting the TPS and timing, new temp 2 sensor (no change) coil, wires, plugs, fuel pump, four rebuilt injectors, and a new O2 sensor, (slight up and down idle with the bad one), I think I'm good. So far, anyway, but I've also found a Subaru donor car.

Install the new throttle body and work down the list from there. Be sure to check for vacuum leaks and clean all the engine grounds. Be sure to use a new TB rubber seal too, the old ones are hard as a rock and can leak.

Stuart