Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:50:19 -0400
From:         Jack Reynaert <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: GEX Vanagon Engines
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thank you for some great insight on this! This was very helpful.

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Friday, March 20, 2015 10:55 PM To: 'Jack Reynaert'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: GEX Vanagon Engines

GEX has a bad reputation but I am not sure it is deserved. All engine re-builders have to deal with reducing costs and only getting cores that are beyond bolt on parts replacement repairs. What does that mean? That the only engines they get are the ones that have over heated, run without oil pressure, or incorrect fuel mixture-ignition timing so that the heads and pistons were melted. This means that most engines you get will have cases and heads that needed a lot of machine work and often welding repairs. Consider also that many new parts are as good as they should be. Just think of the SMC heads of 5 years ago. It didn't matter who the rebuilder was there would be some valve issue at 30K miles.

The one thing I will say with GEX is that I have dealt with them for warranty issues a few times over the years. If the problem was legitimate and not due to owner-installer issues they always made good. They do pay reduced labor rates but they will pay and I have seen them even pay shipping both ways. And they pay shipping right, FedEx with lift gate service.

If you shop engines on price you may be disappointed. Call, ask what you are getting, what upgrades are available such as new heads and a better piston-cylinder set or even rings. New heads, upgraded valves? How is the case align bored? Are the head studs tested-replaced? Camshaft-lifters new or reground? Crank, rods, pistons, flywheel balanced?

These are just some of the details for getting a good engine

Dennis