Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:42:31 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: van comparisons {was (Friday NVC) When Euro hits parity}
              Modern reliability.
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

On my last trip to Florida in the 2004 motor home, I had the exhaust pipe break which melted a taillight and started a small fire in the bedroom closet. The day after that I had the right front tire blow out requiring a tire and wheel replacement, and on the way home the right front brake decided it didn’t want to release. To add insult the front brakes were replaced by a dealer last September.

So far Fun Bus has only been towed home once and that was recently. Turned out the coil failed. I was only 25 miles from home. Lazy I called Coach-net and they flat bedded my home. Yes I have had breakdowns including the broken 4th gear now but overall the Westy has been very reliable for us.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: mcneely4@cox.net [mailto:mcneely4@cox.net] Sent: Friday, March 20, 2015 11:44 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; Dennis Haynes Subject: Re: [VANAGON] van comparisons {was (Friday NVC) When Euro hits parity}

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > > I think VW knows that until they have products that truly compete with

> the Ford or Mercedes van or trucks there is little sense going for the

> American market. As for campers most folks want fully featured units > including toilets and showers and enough room to be comfortable. As > you start heading North of $40K there are a lot of choices beyond a van with a pop up tent.

But what some of us want is a van with a pop up tent, maybe just a scooch more room, but that's not essential. Showers and toilets? Nope, not me, not needed. But I would like modern reliability.

mcneely

> > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > Behalf Of Stuart MacMillan > Sent: Friday, March 20, 2015 12:38 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: (Friday NVC) When Euro hits parity > > VW has a limited product line in the US, and their biggest problem > here will be meeting the ever increasing CAFE fuel economy standards, > hence the introduction of the very expensive e-Golf Who's going to > buy this for $34,000? And, the subsidized $299/mo lease is only > available in 10 states and DE. > > CAFE means selling more fuel efficient cars to bring up the fleet > average, and bringing in vans without a subsidized electric or hybrid > high mileage car to offset them won't help. I think that's the main > reason we won't see a van any time soon. Or maybe we'll see only TDI vans! > > Compared to #1 Toyota with the Prius, a bunch of gas sippers > (including the tiny 37 mpg Scion iQ), two pickup trucks (at least one > is essential in the US), their bread and butter Camry, and a Van, > distant #2 VW has a long way to go. But I would like to see them try harder. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > Behalf Of Jon VO > Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:38 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: (Friday NVC) When Euro hits parity > > Except the Eos, the Golf R, and the CC are mainly optioned versions of

> existing NA models, the California is not imported in any form. > > > On 3/18/2015 8:39 PM, James wrote: > > Volvo has been way behind Toyota in reliability for the last five > > years or > so. > > > > Thing is, reliability or the lack thereof isn't the buying factor it

> > used > to be, as overall automotive reliability is now so high - the > 'average' in Consumer Reports now was the five star reliability rating of 15 years ago. > > > > And as to the idea that 'special low volume models aren't part of > > that > business model" - VW sells the EOS, the CC, the Golf R - all low > volume, all to showcase the brand. Yet most of the public could > hardly place a CC or an EOS if they were challenged, when everybody > knows the VW bus. Importing the California camper, with special trim > lines to celebrate the camper, seems a natural. > > > > As the EOS and R have shown, a 'US federalised' model need not be a > stopper. The handful of years they've sold the R on this side of the > Atlantic, they've brought in as few as 400 per year, IIRC. > > > > James > > Ottawa, ON > >

-- David McNeely