Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Mar 2015 09:36:42 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 L WBX Overheat -1991 Carat

Yep, no one is an authority on wbx engines like a guy who doesn't own one now and never has. On the other hand I just pulled the original motor out of an 87 Westy that has 300,000 miles. Still runs fine but we are taking that van on a long journey and I had a rebuilt one sitting around so this seemed like a good time to put it in. I don't love waterboxers but I rely on them in some of my vans.

I visit my local pick-a-part about once a week to look for VW stuff. I mostly check the "import" rows. Cars of every brand show up and soon parts disappear from the engine compartments. Even the VWs with inline 4 engines. Heads actually get bought from those pretty quick. Do you think people come and take those heads because they are so great that they want to put them on engines of another brand? Obviously not. They have inline VW cars that have engine problems they are trying to fix. Heads disappear from a lot of cars there so nothing unusual about that.

As has been noted here before, most serious engine problems start with some small and minor failure that either isn't noticed or isn't addressed until something major goes wrong because of it. Starting in the mid 80s cars used more and more plastic parts in their cooling systems. These parts age and fail, all too quickly. For WBX longevity look for the recent aftermarket metal replacements for the key pieces.

Mark

TJ Hemrick wrote: > ​John, > > I don't know what Don Hanson is harping about but WRT to Vanagon engines > and such compared to others but it seems you have a plan and if you're good > with that, then that's all that's important. Good luck with that. Please > send some pictures I'd like to see it. > > TJ​ > > > > Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 23:18:04 -0500 > From: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> > Subject: Re: 2.1 L WBX Overheat -1991 Carat > > Dennis, thanks, > > I've pretty much decided on two options, both of which will leave me > without Carat as my daily driver. I'm trying to buy a house, and really > need to cash the Carat out. Not much option there. But do I want the > trouble of dealing with the engine, or should I discount the van and let > the next owner put in what he wants. The engine is done so far as I am > concerned, and I'm leaning toward the next guy doing it. It's a good van, > low mileage so far as vans go, and is fairly complete including jump seats > with matching upholstery in good condition. It's just that the gerbils > running the wheel have died of heat stroke! > > John >