Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:21:14 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GEX Vanagon Engines-where to get a good engine
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

That would be a Go Westy engine: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24110&category_id=82&category_ parent_id=

Custom forged pistons, AMC heads with better valves, new studs as needed, plenty of machine work, etc., as good as it gets.

I'll give them credit for trying, but are they worth $4300 to $6000, plus a $1000 core charge (you will be lucky to get $100 back). Then add the $250 crate fee, and $300 or so in shipping, plus $300 to ship your core back, and you are in the $6100 to $7850 range. I have to ask if they are worth it.

No doubt they are to some folks or GW wouldn't be making them, but I would never pay this much for an obsolete, inefficient, failure prone engine.

Because, no matter how hard you try, you cannot duplicate the OEM quality or longevity using 25 to 30 year old cores, reworked parts, and new parts from multiple vendors of varying quality. I would expect these engines to last about half as long as the originals at best, especially the high displacement versions.

In reality, most people will do something on the cheap to get back on the road, and as Dennis says, they may be disappointed.

Stuart